Tonight will be the official launch of a new web-based virtual art museum called the "Virtual Broad Art Museum." From 6-8pm ET you can attend the mixed-reality opening reception for the new 3d art space on the campus of Michigan State University or in-world at VBAM, interacting with five new exhibits created especially for this space.
Developed by the Institute for Digital Media Arts at Ball State University, the virtual museum is a precursor to a real world Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum being built at Michigan State University, designed by Zaha Hadid. The physical museum will finish construction in Fall of 2012.
There are five main exhibits you can experience at the Virtual Broad Art Museum are:
- con|FLUENCE where visitors can create pathways based on reactions to both social and spatial relationships
- Survey, an immersive landscape simulation using real time weather data from the location of the Broad Art Museum in East Lansing, Michigan.
- dis|PLACE, an interactive gesture-based performance that will be exhibited at the VBAM reception on the 15th of March.
- Proxy, a performative, interactive and site-specific virtual installation where participants shape the evolution of a sculptural and sonic composition as a response to the Museum.
- and Flickr™ Gettr which connects the social image web service of Flickr™ to the virtual Museum environment
I briefly visited the museum today and was impressed by how well it ran from my browser, using the Unity 3D plug-in. Definitely worth checking out here.